2nd round of pull sanding. Another .03/.04" sanded off the heel. Getting close. Time for the first string up in the neck jig. I install both E's tuned to D, take measurements, record them, and walk away. Tomorrow I'll make the new higher saddle.
I should have known better it was so easy last night!! Tonight I checked the fret level with a straight edge. Not so flat!! The 10 frets I installed where perfect. BUT, the 11th and beyond were slightly below. So I had to sand the new frets probably .01/.015 lower to match. But I sanded them on a taper, so I didn't take much off on the first few frets, the ones that will get used the most. Then the fun of filing the ends and finally crowning the tops. Tomorrow will be sanding the crowned frets smooth.
The day after the last update I finished the frets.
Then I spent a few days working on the YamaBass.
2 days ago I sanded another .025" off of the heel. With the E's tuned to D the actions are both 3/64" and the neck projects .10" above the bridge. The neck angle is DONE! I also found a couple of sharp fret ends & filed them. I also fit and glued the heel cap back on. It had popped off during the heel sanding, as I figured it might. I also roughed out a nut. THE END IS NEAR!!
TODAY I GLUED THE NECK ON!! Hot hide glue. 4 clamps. The neck jig holding the bottom of the neck to the body, the strings holding the top of the neck to the body, a spring clamp holding the end of the fretboard down, and a screw clamp making sure the neck is absolutely down. Installing the 2 outer strings also shows me the neck is clamped with the neck centered to the fretboard. There are central marks on the 3 pieces of green tape. It'll stay clamped for 24 hours. Still have to finish the nut. Then clean it up, string it up, and hang it up!! Well, in this case, I'll put it in the case. Another couple of hours work and it'll sit in the case for probably a month for the neck to "normalize", or figure out where it wants to be with full string tension. I left the saddle .03" high, expecting the action to creep up slightly, probably 1/64" at the 12th fret.
After unclamping, I found a .020/.025" gap in the heel!!! I swear I clamped it flush!!! Removed the neck to try again. It wasn't too hard, as expected. Also removed the heel cap TWICE to reset it. When I finally got back to the point of being able to reglue the neck, I find the same heel gap!! It could be swelling from the steam. Put it down and walk away.