I picked it up at the local ShopGoodwill center after winning it last Friday. I had previously inspected it but didn't notice the cracks that ran up one side of the neck, around the headstock & thru the nut slot, and down the other side of the neck. I must have been distracted by the attractive woman I was talking to about it. I noticed it as soon as she handed it to me today.
Oh well, I bought it. So I'll fix it!!!! I spread the crack by cranking on the truss rod to back bow the neck. This is what caused the crack in the first place. I didn't post any pictures of the unspread crack because they are hard to see.
Then I put tape all around the cracks.
Then I wiped epoxy into the cracks, clamped it, and adjusted the truss rod to make the neck dead flat. I could have left the truss rod loose, but since the adjustment is in the headstock I was afraid it may be glued in place and not be able to adjust it again. So leaving it clamped with the truss rod under tension spread the cracks slightly, more on the treble side. I used paper towel soaked with denatured alcohol to clean up the remaining epoxy. 2 hours later I was able to loosen and retighten the truss rod. Looks like it's free.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow night if the repair is going to hold.
I got it back together!! Not before I thought I lost the nut. I swear I put it in the bag with the tuners!!! So I start to make a new one, without an example. Then my daughter calls and I have to pick her and her friends up and bring them home. Then I get back to finishing the nut. When I go to put the tuners in I find I picked the bag with the YamaBass tuners!!!! Then I found the right bag, with the nut!! I put it back together and do a quick setup. The truss rod works!!
And the Bronco bass lives!!! I haven't cleaned it up. The strings are old, dirty and a little rusted in a couple of spots! But it works. Messed around with for a little while. My fingers are going to hurt!!