The label is on!! Well, the label that was glued to the 1/16" maple is on.
I had set it aside clamped flat because the maple had cupped from the moisture. This morning I unclamped it and found it about 1/32" cupped. But I checked it a couple hours later and it was about 3/32" cupped and took a good amount of force to flatten. So I back bowed it, clamped and set it aside.
After 2 hours it initially was flat on the outer 1/2" but inward bowed in the middle. OK by me. But an hour later it looked pretty flat.
I used scraps of pickguard adhesive sheets.
I like having the label stuck to a piece of 1/16" maple. If it was stuck directly I would have put my finger thru it while pressing it in. Not that I'm looking forward to doing this again...
Post by Cardinal2B on Sept 11, 2020 18:14:06 GMT -5
I think the label on the maple plate looks great, and would be much easier to replicate for future repairs; using the double sided tape in place of the glue would keep it from getting wet , cupping, having to bend it back, etc., you know, prototyping...
Looks better - a LOT better IMO - than the original from Seagull, yet still maintains that Seagull-ness.
Thanks!! I try to learn something from every guitar. The label was definitely a learning process. Using hide glue (or any wet glue) is definitely the wrong way to go for a label this size. In the future I hope to be able to laser engrave labels.
I don't worry about that Covid thing. I wear my mask when I have to, never wash my hands (except when they get dirty), but I do avoid people. I've kind of always done that. I can't get Covid from my guitars or tools!!
Post by Cardinal2B on Sept 12, 2020 17:59:23 GMT -5
Sweet! See you next week CTGull , Hope you get to play it some. I thought it had great tone and it was loud, too. Plus a Closet Queen. now should be as close to a new 2001 Seagull as it gets! ...and I like your saddle better besides.
UPDATE: Got to play it for a couple hours today. Little sucker is LOUD! Sounds great. The action is borderline too low, which means there might even be a little more volume with higher strings, closer to bluegrass action. Though I don’t like them for a permanent solution, I may try a shim, then maybe two of them even to get the action up, then ask you to make me a winter saddle.
The label on the piece of wood covering the bolts at the neck joint looks great. Better than the original.
Last Edit: Sept 18, 2020 19:48:05 GMT -5 by Cardinal2B